I am 34 years old and live in Tampere, Finland. I have been working in the IT industry in different positions for over ten years. My specialty is the development of web applications and backend systems with Java programming language. I have also got a master’s degree from the Tampere University of Technology.
What Have I Done?
When I started working at Alma Media at november 2005, I already had five years of experience from different software companies. However, it was at Alma Media where I had the opportunity to participate in some really interesting and challenging projects as a software architect. These projects include
- Implementation project of Autotalli.com. Autotalli.com is Finland’s leading online marketplace for both used and new car advertisements. The whole system was implemented from scratch during this project. I was responsible of architecture design, implementation and quality control. I participated also in the supervision of subcontractor’s work.
- Implementation project of ERP software. The ERP software was implemented from scratch and it is used both to manage customer and contract information and to provide invoicing functions. I was responsible of requirement specification, architecture design and quality control.
- Implementation project of Vuokraovi.com. Vuokraovi.com is the Finland’s leading online marketplace which provides both supply and demand information of rental apartments. I was responsible of requirement specification, architecture design, implementation and quality control.
The years I spent at Alma Media were a very educational experience for me. However, after working there for over five and half years, I decided that it was time to move on. I am currently working as a passionate software developer at Vincit where I continue to pursuit my goals to develop high quality software.
What Makes Me Tick?
Every single people out there has got some things which makes him / her tick. I am not any different. At the moment I am interested of following things:
- Beautiful and readable code. It saddens me to realize that some people are still writing code for computers to execute. A good developer writes code for humans to read. This is my only style guideline and if you are a developer, it should be your guideline too.
- Kaizen. In my opinion it does not matter whether I am doing something which is called agile or not. I am still always aiming for continuous improvement. Why? Because I believe that there is always something to tweak which can make my job easier and / or help me to be more productive. I especially like the philosophy behind the continuous improvement because it does not provide me any answers. A big part of the fun is to use the provided tools and find out the answers myself.
- Learning new things. At the moment I am trying to improve my front end development skills (Backbone, CSS, HTML5 and other cool stuff). I believe that learning new skills is an essential part of being a professional software developer. It makes my work a little bit more interesting and makes me feel a bit more secure, because it is more than likely that I will not wake up one morning and realize that all of my skills are now obsolete.
- Unit Testing. My name is Petri and I am a unit testing fanatic. You might call me a bit crazy but I truly enjoy writing unit tests for my code. I have a confession to make though: I am not really doing TDD yet. But I will always write the tests eventually.