There are many software development blogs out there, but many of them don't publish testing articles on a regular basis.
Also, I have noticed that some software developers don't read blogs written by software testers. That is a shame because I think that we can learn a lot from them.
That is why I decided to create a newsletter that shares the best testing articles which I found during the last week.
Let's get started.
- Integration Testing with Spring: Configuration Logic in Integration Tests is a good blog post that explains why you shouldn't use conditional statements for deciding what your integration test should do. The author also proposes several alternatives that are (IMO) better than using if statements.
- JUnit 5 and Rest Assured using Extension API is an interesting post which describes how you can create a JUnit 5 extension that provides the configuration required by Rest Assured. This extension helps you remove duplicate code because you don't have to provide this configuration in multiple setup or test methods.
- User Interface Testing with TestFX is a comprehensive blog post that describes how you can write user interface tests for JavaFX applications.
The Really Valuable Stuff
- "Unit" Tests? is a thought-provoking post which explains that most distinctions between unit and integration tests are not nearly as useful as you might think.
- End to End Testing and Integration Testing Revisited is an interesting post that explains why your integration and end-to-end tests are worthless if they don't help you catch issues that can happen in the production environment. Also, the author provides some tips that can help you write better tests.